Pale Blue Dot and Carl Sagan

I remember seeing Carl Sagan often, it seems, on the Johnny Carson Show back in the seventies and eighties. He had an announcer's voice and a huge smile. Sagan's popular draw, however, was as a highly respected scientist who could interpret the vast complexities of the universe in amazingly simple terms. He wrote extensively and produced a TV show.


As the artist of this video clip states, Sagan's words are succinct and potent.  Adam Winnik explains his inspiration:
"I've been enrolled in illustration at Sheridan College for the the last 4 years and this is my final thesis project. I have always thought of Carl Sagan's writings as "scientific poetry" since they lack the cold touch that science is often cursed for having. I think Sagan's words resonate more than ever, and will continue with each generation until the human species "wakes up". The first time I heard this excerpt from his book "Pale Blue Dot" it literally changed my life, and I hope it does for you too. Enjoy."
 Written and Narrated: Carl Sagan
Music: Hans Zimmer "You're So Cool"
Art and Animation: Adam Winnik

Play a second time for the words only. Consider, again, finiteness.